Subject: Re: Publishing "filtered branch repositories" - workflow / recommendations?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 15:56:29 -0800

Heiko Voigt <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Dec 06, 2013 at 02:40:15PM -0500, Martin Langhoff wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 3:48 AM, Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> > Right you are, we need tutorials for the most prominent use cases.
>> 
>> In the meantime, are there any hints? Emails on this list showing a
>> current "smart" workflow? Blog posts? Notes on a wiki?
>
> None that I know of mainly because we have not yet reached the goal we
> are aiming at. Maybe we should write something, A few points from
> $dayjob that come to my mind:
>
>   * A submodule commit is only allowed to be merged into master in a
>     superproject commit if it is merged into master (or a stable branch)
>     in the submodule. That way you ensure that any submodules commits
>     that are tracked in a superproject are contained in each other and
>     can be cleanly merged. (no rewinds, one commit contains the other)

I think this is closely related to Martin's list of wishes we
earlier saw in the thread: remind the user to push necessary
submodule tip before the top-level commit that needs that commit in
the submodule is pushed out.  Giving projects a way to implement
such a policy decision would be good, and having a default policy,
if we can find one that would be reasonable for any submodule users,
would be even better.  Would adding a generic pre-push hook at the
top-level sufficient for that kind of thing, I have to wonder.