Subject: Re: [PATCH] worktree: record creation time and free-form note

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2026 10:14:44 +0900

"Kiesel, Norbert" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Junio,
>
> I looked at the usage of `.git/description` and I could not find any
> usage.  We do have
> Git branch descriptions which are stored in .git/config, but that does
> not seem to be
> usable to store the worktree description or the worktree creation timestamp.
>
> So are you ok if I send the PR again, just using "description" instead
> of "note"?

Not really.  Not adding "note" and reusing "description" merely
removes one smaller problem I immediately see.

As I said a few times, I do not get why such a "feature" is needed.
Also, be it a "note" or "description", people notice typoes in the
message and go in to edit with their editor, which would update the
mtime of the file, so if that is the timestamp you are using for
anything real, I am not sure how well it would work in practice.

I'll let the others to figure out the merit of the feature and will
come back next week to see what concensus they reached.

Thanks.