Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (May 2026, #02)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2026 14:51:53 +0900

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

[cc: list taken from <[email-masked]>]

> * jc/neuter-sideband-fixup (2026-03-05) 6 commits
>   (merged to 'next' on 2026-03-13 at 5a4098b0cd)
>  + sideband: drop 'default' configuration
>  + sideband: offer to configure sanitizing on a per-URL basis
>  + sideband: add options to allow more control sequences to be passed through
>  + sideband: do allow ANSI color sequences by default
>  + sideband: introduce an "escape hatch" to allow control characters
>  + sideband: mask control characters
>  (this branch is used by jc/neuter-sideband-post-3.0.)
>
>  Try to resurrect and reboot a stalled "avoid sending risky escape
>  sequences taken from sideband to the terminal" topic by Dscho.  The
>  plan is to keep it in 'next' long enough to see if anybody screams
>  with the "everything dropped except for ANSI color escape sequences"
>  default.

This topic has cooked sufficiently long in 'next'.  I'd push it to
'master' so that it now would have enough exposure time before the
next release.

But I'd do so with a bit of twist.

I plan to hold off the final step.  That step allows to pass
anything until Git 3.0.  That way, those who work with the version
in 'master' will see how things would look like with these strict
checks that allowlist only a few types of selected control sequences
by default.  With luck, we might not hear any complaints from
anybody, in which case we may not have to apply the last step at all.

Of course, if there are huge complaints, then we may have to
reconsider the approach to allow only the selected sequences and
instead blacklist known bad/risky sequences.  In such a case, we may
have to revert the merge first before we regroup, but it is more
than likely that we won't have to do so---after all, the topic
(without the final "loosen rules for now" step) has been used by
those who are on 'next' for quite a while already.  Knock wood...