Subject: Re: [PATCH v11 0/8] fsmonitor: add Linux support using inotify

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2026 09:05:57 -0700

Paul Tarjan <[email-masked]> writes:

> I reproduced this in a Fedora container by merging fsmonitor-linux
> into seen and running t9210 with GIT_TEST_SPLIT_INDEX=yes. Fails
> without the fix, passes with it.
>
> Fix is pushed as a new commit at the end of the series:
>
>   fsmonitor_ewah_callback():
>   -  assert_index_minimum(istate, pos + 1);
>   +  if (pos >= istate->cache_nr)
>   +      return;
>
>   tweak_fsmonitor():
>   -  assert_index_minimum(istate, istate->fsmonitor_dirty->bit_size);
>   +  if (!istate->split_index)
>   +      assert_index_minimum(istate, istate->fsmonitor_dirty->bit_size);
>
> Paul

Thanks for a quick turnaround.

If it is a preexisting breakage in the original and not what you
introduced, wouldn't it make sense to apply the fix very early in
the series of patches, instead of patching breakage on top?  If we
queue on top of what we have in 'seen', this topic will still be
broken up to [8/9] in the same place, breaking bisectability, and
fixed only when the last patch is applied.