Subject: Re: Possible regression: lost diagnostic message when pushing non-commit objects to refs/heads/*

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2025 12:37:26 +0900

Elijah Newren <[email-masked]> writes:

> Bisecting shows that this
> started with commit 9d2962a7c44 ("receive-pack: use batched reference
> updates", 2025-05-19).  That commit message to me suggests that while
> error handling was necessarily changed, that dropping the errors was
> not intentional:
>
> ```
> As using batched updates requires the error handling to be moved to the
> end of the flow, create and use a 'struct strset' to track the failed
> refs and attribute the correct errors to them.
> ```
>
> But it's possible I'm reading it wrong.  Was it intentional, or is
> this a regression?

The topic bisect found was supposed to be purely performance
optimization, and we should take any changes in behaviour as
regressions.

Thanks.