Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] whatchanged: require --i-still-use-this

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2025 15:23:49 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> The documentation of "git whatchanged" is pretty explicit that this
> has retained for historical reasons to help those whose fingers
> cannot be retrained.  Let's see if they still are finding it hard to
> type "git log --raw" instead of "git whatchanged" by marking the
> command as "nominated for removal", and require "--i-still-use-this"
> on the command line.
>
> While at it, update the documentation page to use the new [synopsis]
> facility to mark-up the SYNOPSIS part.
>
> Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  Documentation/git-whatchanged.adoc | 10 ++++++++--
>  builtin/log.c                      | 13 +++++++++++++
>  t/t4013-diff-various.sh            | 17 +++++++++++++++--
>  3 files changed, 36 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

This needs a bit more adjustments to the tests.  Namely

 - t4202-log needs to pass --i-still-use-this because the test wants
   to check the output from the command when it functions;

 - t9300-fast-import needs to run "log --raw" instead, as the output
   from the existing call to "whatchanged" is simply discarded and
   not checked at all.  We could remove the call to "whatchanged"
   whose output is not even tested.

Also as we haven't listed the removal of this command in the 3.0
breaking changes document, we do not support WITH_BREAKING_CHANGES
build knob and test prerequisites yet.