Subject: Re: Make 'git stash list' more informative

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2025 22:06:20 +0000

Lucas Seiki Oshiro <[email-masked]> writes:

>> It contains the last commit's subject which often/usually doesn't
>> really describe the stash entry.

It depends on how you work.

I do agree that the work recorded in the stash entries tend to be
pretty much unrelated to the work I was doing on the branch (hence
the theme of the base commit).  After all, if they are related,
you're more likely not keeping the work in the stash entries---you'd
rather be making completed commit on the branch.

However, I find that the subject of the base commit the stashed work
was derived from works well as a memory aid to recall what I was
working on when the stash entry was created.

So "doesn't really describe" is correct, but because stash is by
design a local thing, it is not a failure that it "doesn't really
describe"---the purpose of the message is to be something easily
generated and help jog your memory later.

Having said that ...

> `git stash list` accepts the options from `git log`, so you can change
> look at its manpage to find other options that show the information
> that you want.

... this is an excellent suggestion.

Thanks.