Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 0/3] Introduce a "promisor-remote" capability

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2025 10:40:14 -0800

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm fine with this version of the patch series. There are a couple of
> features that we probably want to have eventually:
>
>   - Persisting announced promisors. As far as I understand, we don't yet
>     write them into the client-side configuration of the repository at
>     all.
>
>   - Promisor remote agility. When the set of announced promisors
>     changes, we should optionally update the set of promisors connected
>     to that remote on the client-side.
>
>   - Authentication. In case the promisor remote requires authentication
>     we'll somehow need to communicate the credentials to the client.
>
> All of these feel like topics that can be implemented incrementally once
> the foundation has landed, so I don't think they have to be implemented
> as part of the patch series here. I also don't see anything obvious that
> would block any of these features with the current design.

All of them smell like with grave security implications to me.

I am happy to see none of them are included in this round, as
getting the details of them right would take a lot of time and
effort; it is great to have the fundamentals first without having to
worry about them.

> Thanks for working on this!

Likewise.