Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/14] Stop using `the_repository` in some trivial cases

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2025 13:15:36 -0800

Toon Claes <[email-masked]> writes:

> Karthik Nayak <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I went through half of the patches a week ago, but got back to reading
>> through the series today.
>
> I've also been reading through the whole series today, and the changes
> are trivial and look good to me.
>
>> The approach here is to simply bubble up the usage of `the_repository`
>> to upper layers and use `the_repository` there. The alternative approach
>> would be to try and resolve the dependency on the upper layers and not
>> use `the_repository`. This approach seems much safer. The patches look
>> good to me.
>
> I took me a while to get into the mindset of taking this approach, but
> after chatting with Patrick I've changed my mind and agree with this
> approach. The goal of this series is to eliminate the use of
> `the_repository` in the mentioned subsystems. Simply bubbling up the use
> of that variable to the callers of those subsystems is very trivial and
> safe to do.

Yup.  That way, the conversion would be bug-to-bug compatible, which
is much better than a rewrite that improves some parts while by
mistake breaks the existing code.

Thanks, all.  Let's mark it for 'next'.