Subject: Re: [OutReachy] Introduction and Contribution Phase

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2024 10:03:07 -0700

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > ... As a part of outreachy
>> > contribution phase, making one contribution is mandatory. In the
>> > Project Contribution Information
>> > [
>> > https://www.outreachy.org/outreachy-dec-2024-internship-cohort/communities/git/
>> > ]
>> > section, an applicant has to complete a tutorial, microproject and
>> > then make a contribution.
> ...
> You are of course free to do additional changes after you have completed
> the microproject to get more familiar with how things work. After all,
> this is an open source project, so people are free to contribute at any
> point in time. But this is not a requirement.

There seems to be a bit of confusion between what Outreachy wants to
see and what we need to see before adopting somebody as an Outreachy
intern.

I doubt Outreachy considers a microproject contribution qualifies as
the "required" contribution.

Instead of being a theme for a full 3-months internship, a
microproject is designed to be a bite-sized project, with which a
potential participant can experience the end-to-end contribution
process of proposing a change, polishing it while working with
others, and seeing the evolution of the proposed change through to
completion, without requiring technical skills or project specific
knowledge.  It is primarily a "dip your toes in the water, learn how
things are done in the development community that may choose you as
an intern" practice session.

As Patrick said, it may still be a "contribution" from the Git
project's point of view, but it is not designed to be something that
qualifies as a "Contribution" they talk about when they say the
"Applicants are required to make a contribution" section in their
https://www.outreachy.org/docs/applicant/#make-contributions page.