Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/6] use the pager in 'add -p'

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2024 08:32:04 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

>   diff-highlight | less -FX
>
> But after playing with your patch, I realized that:
>
>   - there's no need to pipe through diff-highlight; it already happened
>     as part of interactive.diffFilter!

;-)

>   - since it's triggered manually now, there's no need to add in -FX

I do not know about -X, but yeah, -F is of dubious value in this
particular context.  You explicitly told us that you want to page,
somehow knowing that the hunk needs paging.

> So I am perfectly happy for you to stop where you did. Possibly
> interactive.pipeCommand could be useful in a more general sense, but we
> can wait until somebody encounters that itch.

It makes it sound like if somebody has a use case already we
shouldn't stop here ;-)

The default that colors the output is something we might later
regret.  Those who want colored output can always use the
interactive.diffFilter configuration, but I am not sure if going
the other direction to strip coloring is just as easy.  But other
than that, I think we are at an OK place to stop.

Thanks.