Subject: Re: Defining a platform support policy

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 16:31:14 -0800

Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]> writes:

> But, Randall's remarks bring up something pretty compelling: I don't
> think Git has a clearly defined platform support policy. As far as I
> can tell, the support policy now is "if you run `make test` on it and
> breaks, and you let us know, we'll try to fix it"

I doubt this part.  If there is somebody motivated enough among us
who has access to such a platform, then that person may try to fix
it and if the fix is not too ugly, I may accept such a patch as the
upstream maintainer.  So your "you let us know we'll try" does not
reflect reality at all.  The major platforms luckily have such
motivated somebody almost always available for them.  Niche ones,
perhaps not.

> ..., but nowhere do I see "how to know if your platform is
> supported" or even "here are platforms we have heard Git works OK on".

Yup.  Patches, with commitments to keep such lists up-to-date, are
very much welcome.

Thanks.