Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] advice: allow disabling the automatic hint in advise_if_enabled()

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 08:22:56 -0800

Dragan Simic <[email-masked]> writes:

> No worries.  Regarding disabling the advices for disabling the advice
> messages, maybe it would be better to have only one configuration knob
> for that purpose, e.g. "core.verboseAdvice", as a boolean knob.

I am not sure if you understood Peff's example that illustrates why
it is a bad thing, as ...

> That
> way, fishing for the right knob for some advice message wouldn't turn
> itself into an issue,

... this is exactly what a single core.verboseAdvice knob that
squelches the "how to disable this particular advice message" part
from the message is problematic.  Before you see and familialize
yourself with all advice messages, you may see one piece of advice X
and find it useful to keep, feeling no need to turn it off.  If you
use that single knob to squelch the part to tell you how to turn
advice X off.  But what happens when you hit another unrelated
advice Y then?  Because your core.verboseAdvice is a single big red
button, the message does not say which advice.* variable to tweak
for this particular advice message Y.