Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] sparse-checkout: be consistent with end of options markers

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 12:12:56 -0800

"Elijah Newren via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Remove the erroneous PARSE_OPT_KEEP_UNKNOWN_OPT flag now to fix this
> bug.  Note that this does mean that anyone who might have been using
>
>   git sparse-checkout [add|set] [--[no-]cone] --foo --bar
>
> to request paths or patterns '--foo' and '--bar' will now have to use
>
>   git sparse-checkout [add|set] [--[no-]cone] -- --foo --bar
>
> That makes sparse-checkout more consistent with other git commands,
> provides users much friendlier error messages and behavior, and is
> consistent with the all-caps warning in git-sparse-checkout.txt that
> this command "is experimental...its behavior...will likely change".  :-)
>
> Signed-off-by: Elijah Newren <[email-masked]>
> ---

Let me drop jc/sparse-checkout-eoo topic and queue this instead, and
then resurrect the "use default for 'set' only when !stdin" as a
separate topic.

Thanks.