Subject: Re: [PATCH] t9800: correct misuse of 'show -s --raw' in a test

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2023 13:53:22 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

>> * It appears pretty obvious that the original wanted to just grab
>>   the %at timestamp of the HEAD, and with the fix to allow output
>>   format options to take effect after "-s" is given, the existing
>>   misuse of "--raw" after "-s" that ought to be a no-op breaks the
>>   test.
>
> Yes, I think this is matching what the original code was trying to do.
> The patch looks good to me.

Thanks.

This still can be a cause for backward compatibility worry, though.
I do not think anybody would have lifted $(git show -s --raw --format=%ad)
as a way to get the author timestamp from this test script, but it
is entirely possible that this was written by the author who saw it
done (incorrectly) that way elsewhere, and who knows how many others
copied that (incorrect) way of using "-s --raw" from that original
source we have no control over.

Anyway.