Subject: Re: [PATCH] pull: conflict hint pull.rebase suggestion should offer "merges" vs "true"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 09:39:35 -0800

Alex Henrie <[email-masked]> writes:

> 1. Add a --no-rebase-merges option to `git rebase`.
>
> 2. Add a rebase.merges config option.
>
> 3. Add a warning to `git rebase` that appears if rebase.merges is
> unset and neither --rebase-merges nor --no-rebase-merges is given. The
> warning would advise the user that the default behavior of `git
> rebase` will change in a future release and suggest setting
> rebase.merges=no-rebase-cousins to get the new behavior now.
>
> 4. Change the `git pull` advice to recommend --rebase=merges and
> pull.rebase=merges.
>
> 5. Wait a couple of releases.

The above sounds like a standard "flip the default" dance executed
in the usual order.  I am not sure about the remainder but that is
not because I find anything wrong in it, but because I haven't
thought things through that far into the future ;-).