Subject: Re: Bug report

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2022 09:53:26 -0700

Alastair Douglas <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have found no solution to the issue below. Apologies if it has
> already been addressed.

Thanks for a report.  

The solution is to remove "[pull] rebase = preserve" and replace it
with "[pull] rebase = merges", I think.

> What did you do before the bug happened? (Steps to reproduce your issue)
>
> Have an existing git config with rebase = preserve
>
> What did you expect to happen? (Expected behaviour)
>
> Merges to be preserved when rebasing, without a warning about an option I am
> not using.
>
> What happened instead? (Actual behaviour)
>
> I received a warning as though I had used the option on the command line:
>
> warning: git rebase --preserve-merges is deprecated. Use
> --rebase-merges instead.
>
> I didn't do that, so I can't follow the advice. There appears to be no
> alternative config setting for the new option.

It sounds like splitting hairs, but I agree that the message is
misleading.  I think whoever wrote the message meant that "the
feature that is triggered by giving the --preserve-merges option to
the command" was deprecated.  IOW, they did not mean that only the
command line option was depreated, implying that it is not
deprecated to trigger the same feature by setting a configuration
variable.  Both forms of the use of the same feature was deprecated
about the same time.

I also suspect that they were hoping that the users will read the
instruction based on these command line options and understand that
it also applies to the configuration variables.