Subject: Re: [PATCH v8 08/14] merge-resolve: rewrite in C

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 14:20:26 -0700

Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> writes:

> git-merge-resolve will happily merge three trees, unfortunately using
> lists of commits will break that.

True.

While I agree that it would make sense to rewrite some strategies in
C, I do not quite see the point of redoing this particular one.  Its
simplicity is one of the only few remaining shining points in the
"resolve" strategy, and it can serve as an easy-to-understand
example to demonstrate what a merge-strategy implementation should
look like.  I however doubt with improvements to the "recursive" and
more recently the "ort" strategy, I do not know how much "real" use
there is to it.  I even suspect that the users do not mind if a
platform does not ship this strategy by default if it has so much
problem running a shell script.

By rewriting it to C, we would lose an easy-to-understand example
that the users can easily run to see how it works, but what we gain
in exchange is not clear, at least to me.