Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/4] run-command.h: rename "env_array" to "env"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 09:27:09 -0700

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:

> Follow-up 32ec72c3e1 (Merge branch 'ab/run-command', 2021-12-15) and
> rename the "env_array" member to simply "env" in the "struct
> child_process".
>
> Changes since v1:
>
>  * Added a commit to remove the coccinelle rule after its application,
>    as suggested by Junio in
>    https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

I actually think we do not even have to tentatively add one, only to
remove it at the end.

Wouldn't a two-patch series whose 

 - first patch does the real damage to the codebase, with the
   coccinelle rule as part of the commit explanation in the proposed
   log message (e.g. "the patch was mechanically prepared with the
   help with this Coccinelle semantic patch"), and

 - the second patch does the non-mechanical "comments and names"

work better than four patch series?  A single patch that says "the
code was mechanically updated with this s-patch, with names and
comments that refer to env_array in the surrounding code manually
adjusted" would also work well.