Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 0/1] dir: consider worktree config in path recursion

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 10:02:00 -0700

Goss Geppert <[email-masked]> writes:

> Please see the commit message for a description. Effectively, since
> 8d92fb2927 (dir: replace exponential algorithm with a linear one,
> 2020-04-01) the following no longer does what it used to do:
>
> ```
> test_repo="$(mktemp -d /tmp/git-test-XXXXXXX)"
> cd "$test_repo"
> >test-file
> git init
> git config core.worktree /tmp
> git add test-file

And this is supposed to add a new entry to the index at
"git-test-123456/test-file"?

If it added a new index entry 'test-file', that means "git config
core.worktree" is completely ignored, because we are not treating
"/tmp" as the root of the working tree as it is instructed and that
sounds like a bug.  Is that what you mean by "no longer does what it
used to do"?

Thanks for raising an issue (although it is not quite clear yet to
me what the issue is, exactly ;-).