Subject: Re: [PATCH V3] git-rev-list: add --first-parent-not flag

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2022 13:02:18 -0800

Jerry Zhang <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Assuming that propagating the UNINTERESTING bit only along the first
>> parent chain is a way to achieve some meaningful result (which, as I
>> said, I am not convinced about), I probably would call this option
>> "--exclude-first-parent-only" and explain it perhaps like so
>>
>>         Follow only the first-parent chain from commits given with a
>>         {caret} in front of them, to find commits to exclude.
>>
>>         This prevents commits merged from the side branches from
>>         becoming uninteresting and instead be shown if they are
>>         reachable from the positive end of the range.
>>
>> I am debating myself if the second paragraph is necessary, though.
>> I suspect that the first two-line paragraph may be sufficient.
> Sure, I'll update the patch and commit text with these changes.

OK.  Also the log message for the commit needs to be updated so that
those who read "git log" and find the commit for this change will
not have to ask the same question as I asked.

Thanks.