Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 1/2] "lib-diff" tests: make "README" and "COPYING" test data smaller

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 09:36:09 -0700

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:

>  t/.gitattributes              |   1 -
>  t/lib-diff-data.sh            |  22 +++
>  t/lib-diff.sh                 |   2 +
>  t/lib-diff/COPYING            | 361 ----------------------------------
>  t/lib-diff/README             |  46 -----
>  t/t4003-diff-rename-1.sh      |   4 +-
>  t/t4005-diff-rename-2.sh      |   4 +-
>  t/t4007-rename-3.sh           |   5 +-
>  t/t4008-diff-break-rewrite.sh |   4 +-
>  t/t4009-diff-rename-4.sh      |   4 +-
>  10 files changed, 34 insertions(+), 419 deletions(-)
>  create mode 100644 t/lib-diff-data.sh
>  delete mode 100644 t/lib-diff/COPYING
>  delete mode 100644 t/lib-diff/README

Good.  Directly borrowing a test material from the source directory
was an easy hack that worked for us for a reasonably long time, but
when it started to become a maintenance burden, we should have done
something like this, instead of applying the same kind of laziness
when 459b8d22 (tests: do not borrow from COPYING and README from the
real source, 2015-02-15) tried to correct the mess that was caused
by earlier laziness.

Thanks.