Subject: Re: [PATCH] t5582: remove spurious 'cd "$D"' line

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 09:42:03 -0700

SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 09:12:37AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > Hmm. I think that one is different, in that the "cd" is not redundant,
>> > but wrong. But it turns out not to matter to the test. ;)
>> 
>> Funny. 
>> 
>> We are lucky because 'cd ""' stays in the same repository as the
>> current one and not to a random place,
>
> Actually, the results of 'cd ""' are unspecified, though most shells
> do as you said.  Do we want something like this?

I doubt it, as the root issue is not "cd" but "$D" and other
variables that we use before setting.

I wonder how close our test suite is for being "set -u" clean.
Running our tests under "set -u" may not be a bad endpoint, but
only if we can get there without too much pain.

Thanks.