Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 4/4] git-send-email: improve --validate error output

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2021 12:14:55 -0700

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:

> Improve the output we emit on --validate error to:
>
>  * Say "FILE:LINE" instead of "FILE: LINE".

OK, that is an improvement because it matches "grep -n" hits,
compiler error messages, etc., to help the editors to jump to these
lines.

>  * Don't say "patch contains a" after just mentioning the filename,
>    just leave it at "FILE:LINE: is longer than[...]. The "contains a"
>    sounded like we were talking about the file in general, when we're
>    actually checking it line-by-line.

This, too.

>  * Don't just say "rejected by sendemail-validate hook", but combine
>    that with the system_or_msg() output to say what exit code the hook
>    died with.
>
> I had an aborted attempt to make the line length checker note all
> lines that were longer than the limit. I didn't think that was worth
> the effort, but I've left in the testing change to check that we die
> as soon as we spot the first long line.
>
> Signed-off-by: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  git-send-email.perl   | 23 ++++++++++-------------
>  t/t9001-send-email.sh | 17 ++++++++++++-----
>  2 files changed, 22 insertions(+), 18 deletions(-)

Will queue.  I like the end result, but left a comment about
flipping-and-flopping between 2/4 and this step on an extra
"validate_patch_error" helper sub.

Thanks.