Subject: Re: [PATCH 9/8] [DO NOT APPLY, but squash?] git-rebase--interactive: clarify arguments

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 12:30:29 -0800

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> Good idea! I would rather do it as an introductory patch (that only
> converts the existing list).
>
> As to `merge`: it is a bit more complicated ;-)
>
> 	m, merge <original-merge-commit> ( <label> | "<label>..." ) [<oneline>]
> 		create a merge commit using the original merge commit's
> 		message (or the oneline, if "-" is given). Use a quoted
> 		list of commits to be merged for octopus merges.

Is it just the message that is being reused?  

Aren't the trees of the original commit and its parents participate
in creating the tree of the recreated merge?  One way to preserve an
originally evil merge is to notice how it was made by taking the
difference between the result of mechanical merge of original merge
parents and the original merge result, and carry it forward when
recreating the merge across new parents.  Just being curious.