Subject: Re: core.safecrlf warning is confusing[improvement suggestion?]

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 11:01:22 +0900

Torsten Bögershausen <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I want to have LF line endings in the repository and CRLF endings in
>> the working copy. (Because I use windows-exclusive tools to develop.)
>
> Side note: If you ever want to push your repository somewhere,
> it would be good practice to have a .gitattributes file:
> ...

Now we got your attention ;-)

What would be the BCP we would give if somebody has just a tarball
without .git that has LF endings?

    $ git init a-project
    $ cd a-project
    $ tar xf ../a-project.tar
    $ git add .
    $ git commit -m 'Initial import'

would achieve one half of the original wish (i.e. "I want to end up
with repository data in LF eol"); disabling the "safe crlf" before
running that "git add ." step may also not be a bad idea, because it
reduces the number of things that can get in the way by one.

But the above also leaves the "working tree" files in LF eol
(i.e. it goes against "I want to work with CRLF in my working
tree").  What would be our recommendation?

One big-hammer way I can think of is

    $ git rm -f .
    $ git reset --hard

and that actually may be a good enough solution, given that you'd be
doing this just once at the beginning of "your" project that starts
from an inherited code drop.