Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/6] t4051: add test for comments preceding function lines

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 09:36:57 +0900

René Scharfe <[email-masked]> writes:

> your suggested full-comment metric, i.e. more than nothing.  But more
> importantly it's the actual comment payload.  The leading "/*" line is
> included as a consequence of the employed heuristic, but a more
> refined one might omit it as it doesn't actually contain any comment.

I am slightly in favor of than against the above reasoning, but it
probably deserves to be recorded somewhere more readily accessible
than the mailing list archive.  The title of the test "context
*includes* comment" can be read to hint it by not saying that the
precontext shows the *entire* comment, but that is a very weak hint
that will be missed by anybody unaware of the reasoning behind this
decision.

    When showing function context it would be helpful to show comments
    immediately before declarations, as they are most likely relevant.  Add
    a test for that.

... but without specifying the choice of lines too rigidly in the
test---we may want to stop before and not include "/*" in the
future, for example.

perhaps?