Subject: Re: Updated to v2.14.2 on macOS; git add --patch broken

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2017 11:25:44 +0900

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Yet another alternative would be to treat color.ui=always as a
>> deprecated synonym for color.ui=auto.  I think that's my preferred
>> fix.
>
> It is mine, too.  And I do not think color.ui=absolutely-always for
> those who want to keep the current behaviour is unneeded.

Having said that, I do not mind solving what 136c8c8b ("color: check
color.ui in git_default_config()", 2017-07-13) tried to do in a
different way.  If 4c7f1819b that made even plumbing to default to
auto was wrong (because plumbing did not pay attention to color.ui
so people could not override that 'auto' default), we can partially
revert 4c7f1819 ("make color.ui default to 'auto'", 2013-06-10) to
make the default 'auto' not apply to plumbing.

In any case, I think the first step may be to revert 136c8c8b from
both 'master' and 2.14.x.  These alternative solutions can come on
top.

Thoughts?