Subject: Re: [RFC] URL rewrite in .gitmodules

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 10:33:35 -0700

Lars Schneider <[email-masked]> writes:

> If not, what do you think about a patch that adds a "url" section
> similar to the one in git config to a .gitmodules file?
>
> Example:
> ----------
> [submodule "git"]
> 	path = git
>         url=git://github.com/larsxschneider/git.git
>
> [url "mycompany.com"]
>         insteadOf = outside.com
> ----------

It is unclear to me if you are adding the last two (or three,
counting the blank before) lines to your company's private fork of
the opensource project, but if that is the case, then that would
defeat your earlier desire:

> ... I also would prefer not to do this as I want to use the
> very same hashes as defined by the "upstream" ...

wouldn't it?

I do not think this topic is specific to use of submodules.  If you
want to encourage your engineers to fetch from nearby mirrors you
maintain, you would want a forest of url.mine.insteadof=theirs for
the external repositories that matter to you specified by
everybody's $HOME/.gitconfig, and one way to do so would be to have
them use the configuration inclusion.  An item in your engineer
orientation material could tell them to add

	[include]
		path = /usr/local/etc/git/mycompany.urlrewrite

when they set up their "[user] name/email" in there.

And you can update /usr/local/etc/git/mycompany.urlrewrite as
needed.