Subject: Re: [PATCH 5/5] ref_transaction_commit(): only keep one lockfile open at a time

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 23:57:56 -0700

Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]> writes:

> Given that "git push --atomic" is one of the main new features of 2.4.0,
> it would be unfortunate for the release to contain this bug, plus the
> bug that atomic pushes can fail due to file descriptor exhaustion.
>
> Is this problem important enough to justify delaying the release to get
> the fix in?

I am not too worried about "push --atomic", as we can just add a few
words to Release Notes and documentation saying "this is still an
experimental broken code that is unusable; don't use the feature in
production".

I however am more worried about the other one "update-ref --stdin";
the change will be pure regression for those who want to do many
updates and do not care if the update is atomic, no?

Unfortuntely it is pretty late in the game, and even though in
principle I know that the only sensible way forward is to revert the
original breakage, I find it very tempting to patch it up with your
series.