Subject: Re: Question about installing git from source

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 09:03:38 -0800

Alexander Kuleshov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Trying to install git from source, executing:
>
> make configure
> ./configure --prefix=/usr
> make --prefix=/usr all
> sudo make install DISTDIR=/usr

That does not seem to match any of the ways how INSTALL tells us to
build and install.

Excerpts from INSTALL

    (1) ... If you want to do a global install, you can do

        $ make prefix=/usr all doc info ;# as yourself
        # make prefix=/usr install install-doc install-html install-info ;# as root

Note how "prefix" is spelled.

   (2) Alternatively you can use autoconf generated ./configure
       script to set up install paths (via config.mak.autogen), so
       you can write instead

        $ make configure ;# as yourself
        $ ./configure --prefix=/usr ;# as yourself
        $ make all doc ;# as yourself
        # make install install-doc install-html;# as root

Note how "make" does not have any "prefix".

Also when you install to a temporary directory so that you can tar
up the resulting hierarchy, the variable to use is spelled DESTDIR,
e.g.

	make DESTDIR=/var/tmp/git-2.2.1 install install-doc

> ...
> What's problem can be here?

Hopefully the above would be a good start to help you figure that
out.