Subject: Re: [PATCH 06/14] lockfile: introduce flag for locks outside .git

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 15:43:43 -0800

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> The 14-patch series may have been internally consistent and its
>>> individual patches, when each of them was taken alone by itself, may
>>> have made sense, but it appears that the aggregated whole these
>>> separate topics took their root from is inconsistent with itself
>>> in minor ways like this here and there X-<.
>>
>> I don't follow.  It's normal for an API change to affect code that
>> uses the API --- what inconsistency are you talking about here?
>
> I was under the impression that the purpose of the series was to
> propose an API update to be used together with the remainder of the
> system, not just "update code in master, breaking unstated set of
> topics and leaving them behind without updating them for now".
> ...

About the "inconsistent with itself" bit.

The other topic is a piece from the long-ish series by Ronnie, and
somehow I had assumed this 14-patch series also originated from
another part of that series, especially given that it is largely
about refs.  That's where "itself" came from.

Looking at it again, this errno thing is more or less separate and
independent, so your "I don't follow" is perfectly understandable to
me now.  Sorry about being grumpy.