Subject: Re: [PATCH] Introduce a hook to run after formatting patches

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 15:33:26 -0800

Stefan Beller <[email-masked]> writes:

> So I have read the man page on the trailers and it seems like the solution
> to my problem in removing parts from the commit message.
> However I did not find out, if it can be run automatically, whenever
> calling format-patch
>
> Maybe all that is missing here is an option
>
> 	git config format.enable_trailers 
> ?

The idea has been to first give a standalone text transmonger as a
filter for let people to try out, so that we know what kind of
changes are useful (e.g. "insert s-o-b at the very end") and make
sure the configuration language to specify the changes is easy and
expressive enough, which is more or less what we have in 'master'.

Once we gain experience (and that may result in updates to what is
in 'master'), in the second phase, we would figure out what code
paths can make use of this text transmonger (e.g. your configuration
variable "format.trailers" to affect the format-patch code path) and
integrate it more tightly to the codebase.

We are not there yet.