Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Git v1.8.5-rc2

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 10:49:40 -0800

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Marc Branchaud <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> Foreign interfaces, subsystems and ports.
>>> 
>>>  * "git-svn" used with SVN 1.8.0 when talking over https:// connection
>>>    dumped core due to a bug in the serf library that SVN uses.  Work
>>>    it around on our side, even though the SVN side is being fixed.
>>>  ...
>>>  * Subversion 1.8.0 that was recently released breaks older subversion
>>>    clients coming over http/https in various ways.
>>
>> Isn't this the same as the serf fixes ([1],[2])?  If not, what git change is
>> it referring to?
>
> The latter, I think, is 8ac251b6 (git-svn: allow git-svn fetching to
> work using serf, 2013-07-06).  Without it we won't even work with
> newer SVN library.
>
> The former I think refers to 73ffac3b (git-svn: fix termination
> issues for remote svn connections, 2013-09-03).  Even with the serf
> support, without a work-around, we won't work with serf.
>
> The description can and should be rolled into one, but I am not sure
> what the best wording would be.
>
> Thanks.

I'd keep them as separate entries, like so:

 * "git-svn" has been taught to use the serf library, which is the
   only option SVN 1.8.0 offers us when talking the HTTP protocol.

 * "git-svn" talking over https:// connection using the serf library
   dumped core due to a bug in the serf library that SVN uses.  Work
   around it on our side, even though the SVN side is being fixed.