Subject: Re: [EXT] [PATCH v2 1/5] add-patch: improve help for options j, J, k, and K

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2025 01:18:33 -0700

"Windl, Ulrich" <[email-masked]> writes:

> For the patch
> diff --git a/Documentation/git-add.adoc b/Documentation/git-add.adoc
> index ad629c46c5..3266ccf105 100644
>
> I don't see an actual improvement, and I'd prefer the previous
> version of the doc.

We'd prefer to see something more concrete that refuses the
reasoning that led to the change, than a subjective "I don't see,
I'd prefer".

At least, the commit log messge given by 2c3cc43f (add-patch:
improve help for options j, J, k, and K, 2025-10-06) explains why
the change is an improvement, and I found it sensible.
(<[email-masked]>) 

The old description said 'j' leaves this hunk undecided and goes to
the next undecided hunk, but it is both pointless and misleading to
say 'leave this hunk undecided'.  Unlike 'y' or 'n', the movement
options 'j', 'k' are not about changing the state of the current
thing we are on (so it is pointless to say "LEAVE it undecided"),
and more importantly, when we say 'j', the state of the current
thing we are on may not necessarily be 'undecided' (so it is
misleading to say "leave it UNDECIDED").