Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 09/17] Do support Windows again after requiring Rust

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2025 08:57:38 -0700

Matthias Aßhauer <[email-masked]> writes:

>> It seems that Dscho did not respond on the list to your initial
>> objection in the discussion you cited.
>
> He didn't, but from various interactions surrounding Git for Windows,
> I do think he's currently in favour of keeping Windows 8.1 supported
> in Git for Windows.

OK, as long as folks with stakes in Git for Windows are in
agreement, I have no problem (except that in principle we should
avoid doing disservice to the end user population by doing things
that encourage their prolonged use of out-of-security-support
platforms).

> We don't do that in git.git, no. Git for Windows very explicitly
> spells out which versions of Windows are supported (though usually we
> just mention the Desktop versions and imply the corresponding Windows
> Server versions).

Yup, thanks for clarifying it to me.  Could you do the same for
future readers of the updated version of the commit 09/17 by telling
the author about that in your review comment, so that the log
message can talk about the reasons why a specific CARGO_BUILD_TARGET
was chosen (e.g. "as described in Git for Windows documentation at
$URL, we support Windows versions X or newer, so we use this cargo
build target to ensure we still work with that version").

> I'm not completely opposed, but I do think it should be a concious
> decision and not an unintended side effect of some change that our CI
> didn't catch.

Oh, absolutely.

Thanks for clarification.