Subject: Re: [PATCH 10/10] contrib: remove "git-new-workdir"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2025 12:57:55 -0700

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> The "git-new-workdir" command has been introduced to make it possible to
> have a separate working directory in a different place. The command thus
> predates git-worktree(1), which is what people use nowadays to create
> any such working directory. As such, the script doesn't really have much
> of a reason to exist nowadays anymore.

Yup.  As the original inventor of the concept, I still have one "new
workdir" I use daily, without any problems, so I think the layout it
creates (actually, it created 10 years ago) is more or less still OK
with the current binary.

But even I do not create a new one (not that I run "git worktree" to
create an equivalent all that often).  I do not have an objection
against the removal.

>  contrib/workdir/.gitattributes  |   1 -
>  contrib/workdir/git-new-workdir | 105 ----------------------------------------
>  t/meson.build                   |   1 -
>  t/t1021-rerere-in-workdir.sh    |  58 ----------------------
>  t/t3000-ls-files-others.sh      |  19 --------
>  5 files changed, 184 deletions(-)

Oops, do we have tests that depend on contrib/ stuff (other than
completion and prompt, which should have moved up long ago)?  That
changes the story a bit.

Shouldn't we do the usual WITH_BREAKING_CHANGES transition, then?