Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/2] meson: prefer '/bin/sh' over PATH lookup

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2025 14:16:39 -0700

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> But this made me remember the report from Peter [1] that Debian also
> faced this issue. So I decided to address the issue in Meson directly by
> preferring `/bin/sh` over a PATH-based lookup.
>
> Changes in v2:
>   - Simplify how we generate the summary.
>   - Add a comment to explain ordering of the program path.
>   - Link to v1: https://lore.kernel.org/r/[email-masked]
>
> Changes in v3:
>   - Stop claiming that "/bin/sh" is a POSIX-compliant path.
>   - Link to v2: https://lore.kernel.org/r/[email-masked]

So the discussion seems to have died out.  Have we decided that
unlike Makefile-based approach, it is too cumbersome to teach the
Meson based approach to allow user-specified commands that have
different basename to stand in for the command we expect in the
build based on Meson [*], and what the v3 iteration of this series
does is a good place to stop?

[Footnote]

 * It is trivial to say "make SHELL_PATH=/bin/dash", but we do not
   add support for anything like 'meson -dSHELL_PATH=/bin/dash', and
   we only allow the search path for fixed-name commands to be
   configured and tell our developers that they have to write an
   extra file paths.ini just to be able to do so.