Subject: Re: [PATCH v4] git: replace greater-than and less-than checks with one not equal check

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2024 07:39:49 -0800

"AreaZR via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

>  	if (top_index[0] == htonl(PACK_IDX_SIGNATURE)) {
>  		version = ntohl(top_index[1]);
> -		if (version < 2 || version > 2)
> +		if (version != 2)
>  			die("unknown index version");

I am of two minds.  If the code never evolves and we will never
support anything other than version #2, your rewrite certainly makes
it easier to read.  On the other hand, if we plan to ever learn to
grok versions #3 and later, the original would be easier to se what
is going on, i.e.

		if (version < VERSION_LB || VERSION_UB < version)
			die("version out of bounds");

and the code as written happens to have "2" as both lower- and
upper-bound.

Of course when we do introduce version #3, this line must be updated
anyway, but the final form would be as we have it with the second
"2" replaced with "3", so leaving it in the current shape may be
easier for the developer doing that work.

So I do not know if the proposed change is an improvement for the
longer term.