Subject: Re: [PATCH] BreakingChanges: early adopter option

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2024 09:26:04 -0700

Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> writes:

>> One problem with runtime toggles are commands that go away
>> entirely. We
>> can of course hide them away in various different places and make it
>> impossible to call them. But one of the downsides is that it is not
>> "true" to the actual removal, as for example the dashed builtins may
>> still exist.
>
> We should be able to make sure those dashed builtins fail though,
> while that isn't exactly the same as the command not existing it would
> signal that the command does not work in git3.

Yes, that is what Patrick means by "we can of course hide" and what
I meant by "it is more costly for developers to do it at runtime".

> Yes, it's hard to see many people doing that, though if we're lucky
> some companies that build their own git will test the git3 build. It's
> also hard to judge how many people would turn on the config option -
> if we go with that route we could be doing (a lot?) of extra work for
> not much benefit.

That is certainly a thing worth considering.

Thanks.