Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] Documentation: add platform support policy

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2024 12:34:20 -0700

Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]> writes:

> It's not quite my favorite, still, because I guess that LTS distros
> could get to a point we don't want to support (do we really want to
> provide cutting-edge git features to a 25-year-old LTS distro, for
> example?). Plus, "just look at everyone else's homework and use that"
> feels a little weird.

But essentially that is what we end up doing anyway, no?  If a
platform is used heavily by some of us, they get more attention
because we would be the first to notice breakage on it.  Like it or
not, the population distribution of development community members on
different platforms would not align with the population distribution
of general public, but without access to and familiarlity with the
platform, and without motivation and time we can spend on it, none
of us would feel compelled to look into an issue that only surfaces
on an unfamiliar platform.  So it is inevitable that "you'd have
better chance of being helped by us if you make it as similar to
platforms that we are familiar with as you can" holds true.

> Will keep thinking on this, I'd welcome other suggestions for phrasing.

Likewise here.