Subject: Re: [PATCH 5/5] add-patch: render hunks through the pager

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2024 16:54:52 -0700

Dragan Simic <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 2024-05-24 01:04, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Dragan Simic <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>>>> And for usability, perhaps giving a specific command would change
>>>> the default program a bare 'P' invokes for the rest of the session
>>>> until another specific command overrides.  Another usability hack
>>>> may be "[interactive] pipecommand = less -FX" configuration variable
>>>> gives the initial default for each session.
>>> I think that would be way too complicated.
>> It is modelled after how "less" and "vi" remembers the last pattern
>> fed to their "/" command.  You once give, say, "/test_<ENTER>" to
>> find one instance of "test_", then "/<ENTER>" takes to the next
>> instance.
>
> Huh, less(1) actually remembers nothing when the secure mode is
> turned on.

Are you sure you read me right?  I wasn't talking about storing
anything on disk for the "usability hack", and made it explicitly
clear with "for the rest of the session".