Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Feb 2024, #02; Fri, 2)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2024 15:20:21 -0800

Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm concerned that the UI could use some improvement. If I understand
> correctly the proposal is to make
>
> 	git for-each-ref
>
> and
>
> 	git for-each-ref ""
>
> behave differently so that the latter prints the pseudorefs from the
> current worktree and the former does not.

I would actually think that is perfectly sensible.  The optional
arguments for-each-ref name "filtering patterns" and you can view
the behaviour of the command as using "refs/" as the default
filtering pattern when nothing is given.  But it is easy to defeat
the unfortunate and historical default filtering pattern, by saying
"we do not limit to any hierarchy, anything goes" by giving "" as
the prefix.