Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/2] Add new "describe" atom

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 16:10:09 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> The linux-gcc job is where we force the initial branch name to be
> 'main' and not 'master', so if your tests assume that the initial &
> primary branch name is 'master', that may be something you need to
> fix.

Perhaps something along the line of the attached patch?

The primary test repository t6300 uses is aware of the "problem"
where the tester may set GIT_TEST_DEFAULT_INITIAL_BRANCH_NAME
to 'main' and hacks it around by using

	git branch -M main

as one of the first things it does, to _force_ the primary branch
name always to 'main', whether the tester's environment forces "git"
to start with 'main' or 'master', and existing tests in the script
relies on 'main' being the primary branch.

But your tests are done in a repository newly created with your own
"git init", so depending on the tester's environment, the primary
branch may be 'master' or 'main'.  The way your new tests are
written, however, things will fail if "refs/heads/master" is not the
primary branch.

 t/t6300-for-each-ref.sh | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git c/t/t6300-for-each-ref.sh w/t/t6300-for-each-ref.sh
index 4bbba76874..489f4d9186 100755
--- c/t/t6300-for-each-ref.sh
+++ w/t/t6300-for-each-ref.sh
@@ -563,7 +563,7 @@ test_expect_success 'color.ui=always does not override tty check' '
 '
 
 test_expect_success 'setup for describe atom tests' '
-	git init describe-repo &&
+	git init -b master describe-repo &&
 	(
 		cd describe-repo &&