Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 0/6] git-compat-util cleanups

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 14:56:31 -0700

Calvin Wan <[email-masked]> writes:

> Changes since v3:
>  - Dropped patches 5 and 6 since removing the circular dependency in
>    common.h turns out to be quite difficult
>  - Patch 8 moves the alloc macros to git-compat-util.h rather than
>    common.h since that does not exist anymore

Will queue.

> Note for the maintainer:
>
> I rebased this series onto both seen and next and they rebased cleanly.

Thanks.  It is a very indirect way to ensure if the topic is usable,
though.  What we want is:

 * A series of patches that applies cleanly to 'master'.  Call the
   result of applying them $T (topic).

 * "git checkout next && git merge $T" should give at most trivial
   conflicts.

 * The same for 'seen'.

If the conflicts with topics in 'seen' are only with topics in the
stalled category and/or expecting a reroll category, we may discard
the other topic have _their_ reroll worry about adjusting for this
topic.

FWIW, I did

 (1) tentatively applied these patches to 'next^0', and discarded
     the result.

 (2) applied these patches with "-3" to 'master^0', which saw a bit
     of conflicts in gpg-interface.c (with cw/strbuf-cleanup topic)
     and in strbuf.c (again with cw/strbuf-cleanup topic).

 (3) to cross check the result, merged (2) into 'next^0' to make
     sure that it matches (1).

 (4) merged (2) into 'seen^0'.

As this round has been rebased to a more recent codebase, even with
the conflicts with cw/strbuf-cleanup, (4) indeed merged fairly
cleanly, with the same set of conflicts as (3).

Thanks for rebasing the patches.

Hopefully people will be able to review and give feedback to the
series this time.