Subject: Re: [PATCH v11 0/7] notes.c: introduce "--separator"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2023 14:50:27 +0900

Teng Long <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: Teng Long <[email-masked]>
>
> 1.  "--[no-]separator" to an independent patch which suggested by Junio[1].

I did suggest but not quite.

The 4th step you are fixing is already in 'next'.  You do not
replace a commit in a series that has been cooking there for a long
time.

In a more perfect world, you would have sent the "--separator" thing
that already supported "--no-separator" from the get-go.  You would
also have sent the 4th step that does not need ubsan fix.  You do
not have the luxury to do so when your series hit 'next'---you need
to live with your earlier mistakes.

Until we cross the release boundary, that is.  

I'll revert the whole thing out of 'next'.  Once the next cycle
opens after the dust from the release settles (i.e. around 10th of
June or so), please resubmit the series that does not need "oops, we
probably should have added '--[no-]separator' from the get-go" or
"oops, we had undefined behaviour here, and here is a fix", as if
you are a more perfect developer than you were when the version that
has been queued in 'next' was written (and in fact, you are, after
discussing the design and UBSan issues and stuff during the review).

Thanks.