Subject: Re: fz/rebase-msg-update (2023-02-27)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 12:59:11 -0800

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> Besides, localizaiton teams are already working on what has been
>>> in 'master'; it disrupts their workflow to change end-user message
>>> under them.
>>
>> The patch fixes a newly added i18n string, not the option itself,
>> see
>> https://github.com/git-l10n/pot-changes/blob/pot/main/2023-02-04.diff
>> I found the issue while conducting the localisation for v2.40.0.
>
> Exactly.  That's not a regression.

During -rc period is when we are supposed to concentrate on
regression fixes, and I am not strongly inclined to merge it, but
merging it would not be _too_ bad, either.

If we ship the final without the patch, what happens to users in the
C locale is that they may see a message that says that the
rebase.autosquash variable is incompatible with use of 'rebase' via
the apply backend.  If they then inspect their configuration with
"git config rebase.autosquash", they will sure find it set, and
nobody gets hurt.  Users in locales other than C may get the same
message in their language, and again, there is no harm done.

If we ship the final with the patch, users will see the message
about rebase.autoSquash variable if they are in the C locale or
locale whose translation can be updated in time, and their
inspection of "git config rebase.autoSquash" would show that the
configuration is there.  But it would equally well worked if they
said "git config rebase.autosquash".  IOW, your "hotfix" may be
fixing something that is no big deal in practice, even though it
would have been much better if the original patch was done that way
for consistency.  The only losers if we merge the patch in the last
hour before the release are those users in locales whose translation
is not adjusted in time.  They will see the message about
rebase.autoSquash variable untranslated.

So, I dunno.  To me, merging the topic as part of the ~20 other
topics slated for 'master' post 2.40 release looks like much better
than hastily merging it down before the release.

Thanks.