Subject: Re: Is GGG mislabeling topics?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2023 09:06:08 -0800

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, 19 Jan 2023, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> These comments from GGG bot
>>
>>     https://github.com/git/git/pull/1435#issuecomment-1386301994
>>     https://github.com/git/git/pull/1435#issuecomment-1386302018
>>
>> add 'next' and 'seen' labels, citing merges e3ead5f and c52b021
>> respectively, but these merges are of a topic that has little to do
>> with this pull request (#1435).  Is this expected?
>
> Since I could not make `amlog` work reliably for GitGitGadget ...

"git rev-list e3ead5f^..e3ead5f" (as the comment claims that GGG saw
e3ead5f merged this topic) should be able to identify the individual
commits merged, in this case three topmost commits from Peff leading
to 6c065f72 (http: support CURLOPT_PROTOCOLS_STR, 2023-01-16).

> What you see in action is that this is imperfect. Because in the absence
> of actual git/git commits that correspond to the GitGitGadget Pull
> Requests' commits, `range-diff` will even identify replacements or
> alternative patches as the git/git commits corresponding to the PR.

Hmph, so the three topmost commits were mistaken to match the
patch(es) on this branch.  That's sort-of understandable but not
very satisfactory.

And amlog seems to know the message ID that resulted in that topmost
commit that was merged to 'next'.

    $ git notes --ref notes/amlog show e3ead5f^2
    Message-Id: <[email-masked]>

Perhaps GGG can be told to recognise that it is not one of the
messages it sent out before, or something?