Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] scalar: only warn when background maintenance fails

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 07:40:33 -0800

Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> Here, we are in an environment where background maintenance is
>>> unavailable in an unexpected way. If that feature is not available
>>> to the user, should they not get the benefits of the others?
>> 
>> That is not what I was saying.  I just have expected to see a way
>> for the user to give scalar an explicit "I understand that periodic
>> maintenance does not happen in this repository" consent, instead of
>> demoting an error detection for everybody to a warning that users
>> will just ignore.
>
> Ah, so you'd prefer a --no-maintenance option for users who have
> this problem instead of just a warning. I'll do that in v2.

Or a repository-local configuration to declare "no need to do the
maintenance stuff here", probably?  The expected use case you gave
does not match per-invocation command line option very well, right?

> This could be a good time for me to upstream the --no-src option
> while I'm messing with arguments in 'scalar clone'.

OK.  Thanks.