Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 00/35] doc/UX: make txt & -h output more consistent

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 11:04:09 -0700

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:

> Victoria: I decided not to go for your suggestion of trimming this
> series down in [1]. Reasons:
>
>  * It would take me time I don't have to spend on this, as some of it
>    isn't easy to cleanly re-arrange. E.g. the later "make consistent"
>    commits rely on earlier whitespace/basic syntax fixes.

A devil's advocate question.  If even the original author feels it
does not deserve his or her time to clean up the series, how does it
possibly deserve reviewers' time to review such a series?

>  * A major advantage of reviewing this in one go is that the 34-35/35
>    tests at the end are asserting everything that came before
>    it.

Yes, but it does not assert anything about the other patches not
doing unrelated things while at it.  So tests cannot be blindly
trusted (in other words you have to be also trustworthy, if the
reviewers are expected to swallow this huge series uninspected).

I'll give it a read-over when I find time.  Thanks for working on
it.